A historic moment for Taunton was reached on Tuesday 16 May as the newly created Council held its inaugural Annual Taunton Parish Council Meeting.
Councillor Nick O’Donnell (Wellsprings and Rowbarton) was elected as Chair of Taunton, with Councillor Vanessa Garside (Wilton and Sherford) as Vice-Chair for the Municipal Year 2023/24. The Council subsequently resolved to be known as Taunton Town Council and to designate these roles as Mayor and Deputy Mayor, which will continue the historic tradition of the Taunton Mayoralty.
Councillor Tom Deakin (Obridge) was elected as Leader of the Council with Councillor Martin Straus (Halcon and Lane) as Deputy Leader.
The Council also approved the Terms of Reference of, and made the following appointments to its Committees:
· Chair of Community Services Committee – Councillor Martin Straus
· Vice Chair of Community Services Committee – Councillor Bev Fernandes
· Chair of Finance and Governance Committee – Councillor Ray Tully
· Vice Chair of Finance and Governance Committee – Councillor Giuseppe Fraschini
· Chair of Planning, Development and Transport – Councillor Marcia Hill
· Vice Chair of Planning, Development and Transport – Councillor Connor Sollé
· Chair of Personnel Sub-Committee– Councillor Ray Tully
· Vice Chair of Personnel Sub-Committee – Councillor Amber Packer-Hughes
· Chair of Grants Sub-Committee – Councillor Amber Packer-Hughes
· Vice Chair of Grants Sub-Committee – Councillor Richard Lees
Leader of the Council, Councillor Tom Deakin, said: “I am delighted to have been elected as the first Leader of the new Taunton Town Council.
I couldn’t be more enthusiastic about what is possible for our County Town and will work tirelessly as part of a team of twenty Councillors who I know share my passion for doing all we can for our community.
We will be a forward-thinking, innovative council that is committed to working hard for the people of Taunton. Now let’s get to work”.
Details of the Committees along with meeting dates, agendas and minutes are available on the Taunton Town Council website.