Tel. 01823 765045

Pretty deadly – plants and flowers

pretty deadly plants and flowers

As the weather warms and we spend more time outdoors with our pets, it’s worth being vigilant in terms of which plants and flowers could potentially cause problems to their health.


One of the greatest joys of summer is spending time in nature with our beloved animals. However, when traversing the countryside, or perhaps visiting botanical gardens, you should be aware that some plants can be dangerous or toxic to pets.


Dogs and cats can become sick or even die if they ingest certain plants, so as a pet owner it’s important to be aware of these plants in order to prevent any harm coming to your furry friends.



Lilies have an enduring popularity which means they can be found in many gardens and floral arrangements, and their wondrous smell attracts people and animals alike. However, this flower is highly toxic to cats.


Ingesting even small amounts of lily leaves or flowers can cause kidney failure, with symptoms of lily poisoning in cats include vomiting, lethargy, and decreased appetite. If you suspect that your cat has ingested lilies, seek veterinary attention immediately.



Azaleas are beautiful flowering shrubs that brighten up the landscape, yet are toxic to both cats and dogs.


Ingesting any part of the azalea plant can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, and in severe cases, coma and death, so beware if your beloved dog gets too close this beautiful but deadly plant.


Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is a common houseplant that is popular for its healing properties.


However, while it is highly effective for healing cuts and burns in humans, it can be toxic to cats and dogs if ingested. The sap of the aloe vera plant contains anthraquinone glycosides, which can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, and lethargy in pets. So keep it on a high shelf!



For many of us, daffodils herald the first promise of spring in all its glory. However, these rays of yellow sunshine could land your pet in big trouble if ingested.



Tulips are another popular spring flower that are toxic to pets. All parts of the tulip plant contain toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, and in severe cases, respiratory failure, so keep Fido out of those flower beds, for his own sake, as well as yours!


English Ivy

We’re all familiar with the Catwoman’s arch nemesis Poison Ivy, but did you know that English ivy is toxic to both cats and dogs?


An aggressive grower, it can invade and overwhelm both in gardens and the wild, so be aware of where your pet is frolicking this summer.



Slightly out of season, and one for when the temperatures begin to drop once more, but while Poinsettias may bring joy and happiness to us during festive times, they can be bad news for our pets.


Christmas trees are another scourge for our four-legged friends, as dogs can suffer from tummy or mouth irritation if they chew pine needles.


Image: shutterstock_308645948

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this article


You may also like...

Winter care advice for pets

Winter care advice for pets

Keep the animals in your life warm and healthy this winter by following our essential tips. DOGS Coats and jumpers can keep dogs with short

Whats for dinner pet

What’s for dinner pet?

We take a look at the options for feeding your dogs and cats a healthy diet. Making the right choice on what to feed your

walking the dog

Walking the dog

Follow some basic rules and you and your dog will enjoy some fantastic walks around our area this summer. The Dog Walking Code for England

Tricks and treats

Tricks and treats

Trick training dogs is becoming very popular, with dogs and owners alike! When it comes to training, it is all tricks to dogs! They don’t

Summer healthcare for cats dogs

Summer healthcare for cats & dogs

Summer healthcare for cats & dogs Keep your pet happy and itch-free this summer by following these tips… PESKY PARASITES Flea and tick prevention is

We go to print in...
Articles by category